Lorimer Reading Vol 2: April's Reading Roundup

Lorimer Reading Volume 2

April's Reading Roundup

April was a busy, busy month around here-I traveled two out of the four weekends, worked on projects around the house and worked a TON at my office. Whew! I even hired an office assistant to help out at work--no more 60 hour weeks (hopefully)! But it was a good kind of busy-I got to go home and spend time with my family and see my sister before she jets off to Alaska for the summer, we got to see some of Ricky's family members, and we attended our first wedding of the season. But I'm so glad I still managed to dedicate some evening & lunch times to reading! It totally helps me unwind at the end of the day and gives me a much-needed ten minute break from work when I'm at the office. Here are the books I read in April and my thoughts on each. 


I told you during the March Reading Roundup that I was starting this book, and it did not disappoint! It's a great book by a blogger that I admire and it's all about making your house YOU and being happy with what you have & what you can make it.


Oh man, I love Phillipa Gregory's books about the English Court. She has several of them, all about the women of the Plantagenet/Tudor courts, the most famous being "The Other Boleyn Girl" which was somewhat massacred by the movie version starring Eric Bana, Natalie Portman & Scarlett Johansson. But I digress. 
This one is about Margaret Plantagenet, the last of the Plantagenet princesses trying to survive in the Tudor court (Henry VIII). It's excellent, as are all of Phillipa's novels. They are incredibly intriguing and she adds a great amount of detail to the story without totally screwing up history which is often an issue for me in historical novels. I'm definitely a junkie--as soon as she puts out a new one I am all over it. :)


Gillian Flynn is the dark intellect behind "Gone Girl" and she delivers again in "Sharp Objects". This novel is slightly less macabre but has just as many twists and turns. It was a quick read because I had such a hard time putting it down! If you liked "Gone Girl" or enjoy "Law & Order" type procedural shows & books I think you'd like this one as well. 



Emily Giffin has several books out now that all deal with the complexity of human relationships, and this is her most recent. It deals with a football-obsessed young woman living in Texas, her best friend, their respective families, and all the intricate aspects of their relationships with one another. It also discusses some of the feelings people in their late 20's and early 30's experience when they're not sure if they're doing the right things with their lives. I thoroughly enjoyed it, as I have with all of her novels. They're great in the sense that while they do often have "happy" endings, they don't usually go along the story arc that you're expecting to get to that place.


Next Up:

Okay, go ahead and make fun of me. My husband sure is. I haven't started this one yet but I am looking forward to it.  I was super into showchoir in high school (I even choreographed for our group and continued to choreograph for middle schools in college) and so naturally I was a Glee fan.  Plus I'm a big Broadway follower and Lea has lots of Broadway experience. She grew up on stage, playing Young Cosette in "Les Miserables" as a child and Adult Cosette later on. Plus, she originated the role of Wendla on Broadway in "Spring Awakening", an edgy rock musical depicting teens in Germany in the late 1800s opposite Jonathan Groff (whom you may know as Kristoff from "Frozen"), which she began working on at age 14. I'm interested to see more behind the scenes of Lea's life and to see where she hopes to go from here now that Glee has ended.


And there you have it! All my favorites from April plus the next book on my list for May. I know many of you have busy, busy lives, so don't feel like I'm saying you need to read 4 books each month. (Cuz I know some of you are looking at this list like I am crazy.) But if you're looking for a recommendation, here you go. :) I read because I'm so in love with it--don't forget to carve out a bit of "me time" in your own lives to do whatever it is that makes you happy!

Have you read any great books lately that you would recommend? What are your favorite genres? Let me know in the comments below!


You can stay up to date by following me on FacebookPinterest, Instagram & Twitter and subscribe at the top right of this page! Sharing is caring :) 

XOXO,



Jaclyn


Comments

  1. I saw this on iheartorganizing, and thought that, while it was a great review of some interest-piquing reads, it in no way related to an organizing link-up. I truly puzzled it out and could not see a connection...No disrespect intended; just confusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Jen has stated in several of her posts that while she was originally an organizing blog (and of course loves to organize!) she kind of regrets putting herself in only the "organize" peg, and obviously she blogs about things other than just organizing, so I shared this as well as two organizing posts, since I do those as well on my blog. Certainly if she doesn't approve of having a non-organized post she is welcome to remove the link!
      Thanks for your feedback,
      Jaclyn

      Delete
  2. Oh, cool---thank you for your sincere and respectful reply. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello Lorimer Living Readers! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my post, and I will absolutely read each one and try to answer any questions you may have. However, because this blog is my online home, I will remove any comment that I feel is malicious or inappropriate. XOXO!

Popular Posts